See where people are reading from!

Saturday, August 1, 2009

Struggles

I like it here, but the first week has not been easy. The first two days were great, when everything was new, but these last couple days were quite difficult.
Loneliness
I am the only volunteer at this site, and I have so far not been able to leave the compound on my own. There are some young people close to my age, the Aspirants (people who have recently decided they would like to become Salesian Sisters) but they have been together since February and have a fairly set routine. The time difference makes it such that I cannot call home whenever I would like, plus the phone is very expensive! Using Skype is much cheaper, but since the internet is slow the connection is not good. Also, I am only allowed limited time on the internet so all in all the "instant gratification" communication I am used to is not available. I am hoping I will be able to meet some other volunteers or even people in the town to be friends with soon. As for now, I will have to wait until camp is over and I can figure out how to take the Matatus (12+ person vans) around.
Language
English is the language spoken among the Sisters, yet my English is very different than theirs and we have a hard time understanding each other. Swahili does not have most of the vowel sounds English does, and so native Swahili speakers pronounce many things differently. Lauren is an incredibly hard name for them! They do not really have the "eh" (is that sound called a schwans?? it's the 'en' part of my name) sound, and "ell" are "r" are indistinguishable. My name often comes out "Lahleen" (or they think it is Florence).
If we speak slowly enough we can understand each other, but there is currently no chance share a sense of humor or have in-depth conversations.
Confusion
I have not yet figured out the scheduling here so am often unsure of what is happening. Also, general culture shock and stress is to be expected. I am not trying to complain, but more explain what is difficult.

P.S. -- A random note, yesterday I went into town and saw one other person who was white --- it was a mannequine.

8 comments:

  1. Be strong, Lauren! It is always hard to go to new places, and be with new people. I imagine it gets harder and harder with the language barrier. But give it time - you will learn the accent and they will learn yours.

    Perhaps you can help pass your time by writing a book or the like? Is there anything fun to read? Do you do anything interesting with the novitiates or others?

    We miss you, but we love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got it - keep persevering, those struggles will soon be little stumbling blocks way behind you! I can't wait to hear more (and to go on our safari!) And I love the mannequin. Oh yes.

    <3 Jaclyn Krupsky

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren,
    I am so proud of you. Hopefully it gets better.
    I just wanted to say that I got a piece of mail from you so Thank you.

    Tasha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sissy Poo,
    We miss you too but are so proud of you, I remember wheN I went to Guatemala I called home the first night and cried and cried, but at the end I was so sad to go back to MN. You will quickly learn ways to connect with people and it will become familiar, but I know it is hard at first. You are amazing!! We love reading your updates.

    Erin and Lane

    ReplyDelete
  5. COUGAR!!!!!!!!! ROOOOOAAAARRRR! I'm so glad I discovered your blog. Its great to hear what you are up to. I know you might be having a hard time right now, but keep your chin up! You are a strong woman and you will adjust to your new environment, all in good time. Just remember how awful Kiewit was at first (well I guess we did love it, just not res life), and now we think about it (kiewit) with the fondest of memories. Okay, so maybe that didn't help, but just know I have a lot of faith in you and your ability to make your experience in Kenya unforgettable in the best of ways. Don't forget to cut loose and enjoy yourself. By the way, I'm living with priests and nuns in Guatemala and they're a crazy bunch of fun.
    take care. love & prayers,
    Kara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hang in there beautiful! It's tough. I have full confidence in you that you will pull through these struggles and see all the beauty in them.

    Sooooo much love being sent 'across the pond' to you right now!

    -Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lauren!!

    Hang in there, things will get better the longer you are there. I still can't believe you are like half a world away. I start school on Wednesday and I am not ready to get back to all the work. But I hope you are enjoying your time in Kenya so far. I love reading your updates.

    Miss you,have fun and PPL!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Lauren,

    My heart goes out to you in your lonliness - I myself went through lonliness when I was in Germany all alone this summer. In my hurt, I turned toward God and he made me feel whole again. You are never truly alone in the world!

    Here's some Bible passages that provided me encouragement when I was lonely. I hope that these scriptures may come alive in your heart and that through God you might be encouraged. God loves you Lauren and this is an opportunity to come closer to God.

    Matthew 28:20
    Revelation 3:20
    John 15:15
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Isaiah 41:10
    Psalm 22, 143, 86, 40, 46, 16

    ReplyDelete