See where people are reading from!

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Clothing

The style of dress here (as you may have guessed) is a bit different than in the U.S. While I am still able to wear pretty much all of my clothes, I have made some modifications. For example, I (well... my mother really) shortened the straps on my shirts before I left -- even the ones bought from the "old lady" section. If I wear a skirt I often wear leggings underneath to ensure it is long enough. Occasionally I will see people wearing tight clothes, but they never show their knees or their shoulders.
The Leso/Khanga is a staple part of attire for women. It is a thin piece of cotton cloth that you wrap around your waist and it covers your skirt/pants to keep them from getting dirty. They have every kind of decorations, and many have Swahili sayings like "Getting pregnant isn't work, raising the child is!" or "A child is always a child to her mother." They have showed me how to tie mine many times, but I can never seem to get it to stay so I "cheat" by tucking it in.
Otherwise, the women generally wear skirts with blouses, often colorful. The female teachers in the school wear suits and the male teachers wear a button down shirt and nice pants. The clothing is very colorful and has fun patterns.
In Makuyu people only wear traditional dress for ceremonies and celebrations. But, in the Northern Part of Kenya you see people out tending their herds wearing many many beads and draped fabrics. The Gabbra men have something called a "shuka" which a patterned piece of material that feels a bit like a shower curtain sewed into a tube. They wear it like a skirt (or maybe more like a kilt). The Masaai beadwork is absolutely incredible, and symbolic -- it can show whether you are married, the oldest child etc. Some women only wear beads on the top, although this is becoming less common.
The hair is also important. In the primary school all the children are required to shave their heads as allowing long hair causes divisions between the rich and poor families. Intricately braided hair with decorations shows wealth. The older girls have many styles of braiding, and weaves and extensions are very popular. I am hoping to go to the "saloon" school here soon (they call hair stylists saloons and bars salons!) and have my hair done. It is quite amazing what they can do!

1 comment:

  1. I loved this entry! ( and laughed a lot at your last one too)....the sayings on their wraps are hilarious. How interesting also about hair signifying status, I had never known that!

    Love you! These are great to read, keep em coming!

    ReplyDelete