See where people are reading from!

Sunday, November 15, 2009

My name is not "Mzungu"

"Mzungu" is the East African equivalent of "Gringo." Depending on the context, it can be either neutral or negative. Regardless, I don't like to be called "mzungu." When the children in the school address me as such, I either ignore them, or ask them "What is my name?" They are starting to learn that, especially when they are angry, pleading with "mzungu" will get them absolutely nothing.
While the word is not always meant to be used in a derogatory manner, I feel it takes away my individuality. I am not all white people -- nor are all white people the same. This seems to be something that happens everywhere: people who come from a different culture are thought to be just like everybody else from their home.
Also, if you are white, many things are assumed about you. Mainly that you have money flowing out of your pockets. Anyone who has been a volunteer certainly understands that this is not the case!
Basically, the point is that my name is Lauren, and I preferred to be called by my name, and not anything else --- I think most people would agree with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment