See where people are reading from!

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

A Little Humor


I read a lot of compositions, and as English really is a second language in "the bush," the students make some mistakes that do make me smile. I thought I would share some in hopes of making you smile as well! (I am in no way attempting to make fun of my students, because I know I make equally ridiculous mistakes in Swahili!)Incidentally, I finally made my high school students laugh today by telling them my aspiration to be a matatu conductor (see section on transportation)... I figure I could set a good example by never cheating the people, and being on of the few women conductors, but apparantly it is one of the most stressful jobs in Kenya, but where else to you get to hang out the window of a vehicle driving past the "jam" on the "shoulder" (aka dirt siding, where in areas of construction they show a road sign of cars falling over the edge)???

The people started drinking bear.

[On using bhang(marijuana)and then being hired to work in someone's garden] If you could have come in front of me I could have even digged you.

He went to his bedroom and opened his wadrope.

...and took a blood curdling shower.

I will be very gland if you understand me.

When the boat overslide in the river, a big whale caught my leg.

It was a remantic weeding ceremony.

We cleaned the clothes and hugged them.

A few minutes later the bride and the spinster arrived home from church.

The preacher preached the Bible to the people, bride and even the spinster.

[From an exam] Define fable: The toilet is clean

[From an exam asking to fill in the blanks with the spelling rule 'i' before 'e'] I before pray except after God.

For the Greeks were not insane when invented a dage that states: stength is unity.

Eventually, let us pull our hands up together and say like Dr. Martin Luther King Juniour "we have a dream that one day Kiswahili will be a language in Kenyan cities, that in the streets of Nairobi, Mombasa and Kisumu, where the young and the old, the Luo and Kikuyu will all humble ourselves and share our experiences -- using the Kiswahili language"

No comments:

Post a Comment