See where people are reading from!

Friday, April 23, 2010

A Trip to the Hospital

Today I needed to run errands with one of the Sisters, and this included taking a young man to the hospital. I have heard what the government hospital in Thika (the nearby town) is like, but it was still not what I was expecting.
Apparently this boy, Reuben, broke his leg a month ago, and when he went to the hospital they sent him away without doing anything. It is a fairly severe break -- it looks like right now he has two knees because of how the bone is sticking out. I'm not entirely sure how the Sisters came upon this case, but I guess no one is his village is willing to help him and the parents aren't capable.
Reuben is somehow "not okay" -- I believe there is a problem with using glue, but I'm not sure if that started/increased because of the pain he must have in his leg. Regardless, this young man is not capable of telling even exactly how he broke his leg.
The Casualty Section of the hospital (I think it is the equivalent to ER/Walk in Care) is first come first serve. There is a sign posted with the prices, and if you cannot pay they will not treat you. Services like resuscitation, however, are free. Major emergency surgery costs about 5,000 shillings (less than $100 direct equivalent, but a little less than half of a worker's monthly salary). Being in the waiting room made me want to become a doctor just so I could help all of the people. It's really not even a room -- a covered area with benches to sit on.
Like the dispensary, there is a lot of waiting involved. When you first arrive they check on you immediately to determine the seriousness of the problem, but then you have to see the doctor/nurse, who sends you to the x-ray, who sends you back to the doctor, who sends you to the place of plastering etc. All of these places have lines.
Because it has been so long since the injury, Reuben has to come back for surgery in about 10 days. 10 days! He can barely walk, and judging by the way his leg looks must be in a large amount of pain.
What really struck me is the fact that unless you are literally dying, if you don't have money you will not be treated. If you are admitted to the hospital, someone from your family/a person you know, must come to clean you and feed you etc. That means that many people go without treatment for severe injuries. It actually upset my stomach a little to see all the people in pain, and knowing they have to wait hours just to see a doctor. I know the American health care system has a lot of problems, but here not only the quality of treatment you get depends on how much you can pay, but whether you are treated depends on if you can pay at all. The private hospitals are generally much better taken run than the government, but that costs more money.
I wonder how the staff of this hospital feels and thinks. Are they so used to seeing all these people that they are "used" to it? I would guess they are given more work than they can reasonably do, but I wonder how much they care. It seems blunt to assume that they are only in it for money, which I'm sure is not exactly the case, but in order to have reasonable service you must really speak with them, for lack of a better way to put it. I know when you are overworked the break you get for lunch is important to take care of yourself, but when the workers leave for an hour for lunch and just leave all the people there to wait for another hour -- without lunch -- I think it must be something that affects a person.
So please pray for all the people in Kenya who are sick with no one to take care of them, and also for the health care workers!

No comments:

Post a Comment